The Awards Air Live Sunday, May 23 at 8 P.M. ET / 5 P.M. PT on NBC
[EDITOR’S NOTE]: For media assets, please click here | For digital assets, please click here
Los Angeles, CA (May 11, 2021) - dick clark productions and NBC today announced that record-breaking music superstar Drake will receive the prestigious Artist of the Decade Award at the “2021 Billboard Music Awards” (BBMAs). Drake holds the title for most Billboard Music Awards with 27, setting the mark after taking home 12 awards in 2019. Hosted by Nick Jonas, the BBMAs will broadcast live from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday, May 23 at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT on NBC.
Billboard's Artists of the Decade category ranks the best-performing artists based on activity on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart and the Billboard 200 albums tally, as well as social media data and touring revenue from Billboard Boxscore, from Dec. 5, 2009, through Sept. 28, 2019.
Artist of the Decade Honoree By-The-Numbers:
- Nine No. 1 albums on the Billboard 200 chart - the most of the decade of any artist
- 33 top 10s on the Billboard Hot 100 chart - the most of the decade of any artist
- Six No. 1 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 chart
- 18 No. 1s on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart - the most of the decade of any artist
- 69 top 10s on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart - the most of the decade of any artist
- 10 No. 1 albums on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart
Career Chart Records:
- Only solo male with more than 50 career weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart
- A record 232 entries on the Billboard Hot 100 chart
- A record 45 top 10s on the Billboard Hot 100 chart
- A record 22 No. 1 titles on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart
- A record 84 top 10s on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart
- A record 120 top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 chart
Notable Chart Stats:
- Eight No. 1 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 chart
- Nine No. 1 albums on the Billboard 200 chart
- 11 No. 1 albums on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart
About the “2021 Billboard Music Awards”:
- This year’s awards are based on the chart period of March 21, 2020 through April 3, 2021. “Billboard Music Awards'' finalists and winners are based on key fan interactions with music, including audio and video streaming, album and digital song sales, radio airplay, and social engagement, tracked by Billboard and its data partners, including MRC Data and Next Big Sound.
- Previously announced performers include: P!NK, who will receive the distinguished ICON Award, and The Weeknd.
- Fan-voted categories include Top Social Artist and Top Collaboration. Voting is open from May 10 at 9am PT to May 21 at 11:59pm PT on Twitter and billboard.com/bbmasvote. For more information, visit billbaordmusicawards.com/vote.
- For more than 30 years, the BBMAs has celebrated music’s greatest achievements, honoring the hottest names in music today. Unique among music awards shows, finalists are determined by performance on the Billboard Charts. Since 1940, the Billboard Charts have been the go-to guide for ranking the popularity of artists, songs and albums, and are the ultimate measure of success in music.
- The annual live broadcast showcases spectacular performances, unexpected collaborations, buzzworthy pop culture moments that keep fans talking all year and the prestigious ICON Award, which honors record-breaking artists and their impact on music.
- The “2021 Billboard Music Awards” is produced by dick clark productions. Barry Adelman and Robert Deaton are executive producers.
- For the latest news on the Billboard Music Awards (BBMAs) visit billboardmusicawards.com and www.billboard.com/bbma. For exclusive content and more, be sure to follow the BBMAs on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, YouTube) and join the conversation by using the official hashtag for the show, #BBMAs.
The “2021 Billboard Music Awards” is sponsored by Rockstar Energy Drink, Security Benefit and Xfinity.
About dick clark productions:
dick clark productions (dcp) is the world's largest producer and proprietor of televised live event entertainment programming with the "Academy of Country Music Awards," "American Music Awards," "Billboard Music Awards," "Golden Globe Awards," "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest" and the “Streamy Awards.” Weekly television programming includes "So You Think You Can Dance" from 19 Entertainment and dcp. dcp also owns one of the world's most extensive and unique entertainment archive libraries with more than 60 years of award-winning shows, historic programs, specials, performances and legendary programming. dcp is part of MRC Live & Alternative, a division of diversified global entertainment company MRC. For additional information, visit www.mrcentertainment.com.